Thursday, March 31, 2011

I am large, I contain multitudes




Usually I welcome the coming of spring weather most excitedly in the transition from winter footwear to sandals. The specifics of those sandals changes depending on what stage my personal style is going though at the time. In the past, this meant a lot of flip flops and various flat-soled shoes, but the upheaval and progress I have made this past year as a style blogger has meant my first choice in warm weather footwear has been my ridiculous Nine West quasi-espadrille wedges. They are astonishingly comfortable for their height, though they have their limit. And the way they push my toes together isn't significant enough to cause pain unless, as I remembered today, I haven't clipped my toenails in awhile. I also donned this skirt, which started out as a crazy pair of vintage shorts I was going to put in my shop, but decided to gut and remake. They still have a certain shorts-y aesthetic, but the transformation was pretty successful. Unfortunately, the before photos I took got erased, but if they hadn't you could see that not only did I change the shorts into a skirt, but I moved the zipper from the front to the back. In addition, this was my second sewing project ever, done entirely by winging it and hoping for the best. While the final product looks decent from the outside, don't ever ask to see the seams/stitching underneath, cause....yikes.

I recently finished the books I had been working on the past couple of months, the Hunger Games trilogy (great, though the last book isn't as compelling as the first two) and Schulz and Peanuts. The latter, which was a bit scattered in places and not the best written biography I've read, was nonetheless fascinating and enlightening. Schulz come across as single-minded, contraditory, ambitious, insecure, self-involved, child-like, loving, and brilliant. Even if you have only a cursory interest in his work, it's worth reading about his journey from an unappreciated, unknown cartoonist to the creator of one of the single most influential pop culture forces of the 20th century. 





You can't tell from the pictures, but the skirt is actually made of corduroy. Yep, high-waisted, pleated, dew-covered, corduroy leaves. Only in the eighties.

Handed-down American Eagle cardigan, Old Navy cami, repurposed vintage skirt, Nine West wedges from Ross, Urban Outfitters trench, vitnage Lou Taylor purse

2 comments:

  1. I love this skirt. so much. The pattern is so unique. I kinda sorta want it. A little. Or a lot.

    -Meganne
    www.theposhpearl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you lost the before pix. I have a pair of odd cargo shorts I would like to change to a skirt. Guess I should just go for it. Did you do this by hand and how was it to rip it out?

    ReplyDelete