Monday, December 13, 2010

He turned into Gary Frick!




As most of you bloggers out there are well aware, there is a severe disconnect between blog trends and IRL trends. Stuff we see all over the internets is nowhere to be found walking the streets where we live. I happen to be sporting two examples of this here: the topknot and over-the-knee socks. 

Now, when I log into my Chictopia I get the impression that it has become a requirement for the style gallery that featured outfits must include thigh-high socks. Nearly every front page outfit includes them. But I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seen someone wearing them in person (besides myself, of course). Likewise, with the topknot, it's the hairstyle du jour online, but when I tried it for the first time on Saturday my friends all reacted with a combination of surprise, approval, and feeling the need to touch/pat said topknot while giggling. A friend of mine who recently returned from Australia swears everyone wears them down under, but agrees that it's still uncommon in the states. At least from what I've seen. Anyone come from a town where they're not so rare?

The first morning I attempted the topknot, I was skeptical. First of all, no matter how much I brushed, pulled, and cajoled, I couldn't get my hair to lay flat and smooth. It seems my follicles are very set in their downward-growing ways, and are unenthusiastic about the idea of being yanked up and secured in the opposite direction.  I did the best I could, then popped on a headband for good measure, and looked in the mirror. 

Hmmm.

That is certainly interesting. A lump of hair stuck on the top of my head. Just....sitting there. Like it's perfectly normal or something. Needless to say, it was a bit disconcerting at first. But as I went about my business, occasionally catching glimpses of myself in a mirror or window, I warmed up to the look. I felt chic and a little bold. I was embracing the whimsy of fashion. Even Joe seemed to like it, though when trying to predict his reaction I decided it could go either way. So I tried something new, took a little risk, and was happy with the result. It may have been the world's most inexpertly executed topknot ( I can spend forever getting dressed, but after five minutes on my hair I usually give up and call it good), but it was fun and cute, and no doubt I will look back on it someday and laugh. Good naturedly, of course.


1 comment: