Sunday, November 7, 2010

The meal is over when I hate myself

When did I turn my back on the cardigan and become a blazer girl? Okay, maybe it's not that drastic, but I do wear this blazer a LOT. I've spent years seeking out the perfect black jacket, but the one I've had for the past few years was sort of a compromise and never fit the way I wanted it to. Enter this piece from Goodwill. It's a size six from the little boy's section, and the magic of it is that the shoulders fit. Anyone out there with narrow shoulders, I'm here to tell you, the kid's section is the place to be. Joe objects to the (very slight) shoulder pads, but they're sewn in too well it would take a tailor to remove them, so I just ignore his befuddlement every time I put it on. 


I think I've discussed the blazer before, and recently, but I just can't stop raving about it. And if you're petite like me, you should really consider the children's section if you don't shop it already. There's a bit of a learning curve when it comes to figuring out what will work and what won't on your body type, but that's true of any kind of clothing. 


The skirt is from Urban Outfitters, which means my mom bought it for me on a birthday shopping trip. I can't afford that place people! But this is a great classic piece, and there's a shot somewhere in the archives of The Sartorialist of a young woman wearing it, so it's gotta be stylish, right?

Unrelatedly, do you guys like my bed? I know I've shown it before, but I've never said much about it. I actually designed the frame in high school, and my dad built it for me. He's crazy talented, always building and fixing and remolding and repairing. He likes to take beaten up antique furniture and refurbish it for his and my mom's house. The dresser and nightstand were purchased to match around the same time he built the bed. I'm more into dark wood these days, but this bed still holds up pretty decently when it comes to my design taste, and it's been with me everywhere I've moved since he made it. I think that encompasses around seven or eight moves, most within the past five years. My mom always gives me a hard time because he's never built her a piece of furniture from scratch. I guess that's the advantage of being an only daughter. I get a little bit spoiled (though I don't take it for granted, I promise).



Remember when I said I wasn't doing headless photos anymore? Yeah, this one is a few weeks old, taken  before I made that decision. Then why did I post it, you ask. Dunno. I just like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment