Saturday, July 3, 2010

Vacation Day One: Pretty Anticlimactic




Today is the first day of a little over a week's vacation for me. I am too poor to go anywhere, and mm car insurance payment is due in a couple of weeks, so mostly I'm going to...um...well, I don't really know what I'm going to do. Today I spent a couple of hours hanging out at my parent's house, reading on their deck in the nice adirondak chairs. It was sunny and pretty nice out! WHAAAAAT?! The picture is of me a couple days ago, the first day of July. Don't let the semi-sunny picture fool you, most of the day was crap. Note that I am wearing jeans. I'm pretty sure the temp was in the low sixties. 


In related news, I read that while sales of sunscreen are up in basically every part of the US compared to last year, here in the good old Pacific Northwest they are down something like 20%. 


I've put aside the Percy Jackson series, which I hope to get back to soon, to take on The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver. I've stopped and started on it for months, but I'm over halfway done now and it's finally starting to pick up, so I'm determined to finish the thing, and soon. One strange quirk I have is that if I start a book, I HAVE to finish it, no matter what. On the one hand, I think it's partly out of a stubborness and of not letting the book win ( I will conquer you!), and in another I think it's because I feel that I can't give a book negative feedback or harbor a bad opinion of it unless I've seen it through. I'll admit that it's rare I change my opinion drastically from the beginning to the end of a book. But sometimes a certain writing style takes time to get used to, or a story takes awhile to get rolling. More than once I've pushed through a difficult beginning and come out loving the book in the end. Though that's not necessarily the goal. It's more about being open to new ideas and  not pigeonholing myself. If I wasn't so varied and experimental in my reading, there's so much I would never have discovered. 




I never get pictures of myself outside, so that's why these shots are both taken in my yard. I really wanted to wear my denim skirt this day, but it was TOO COLD. Once again, don't let the sunny sky fool you.


Didn't really get the shoes in here, oh well. Same old black flats. I need some new sandals.


Oh yeah, so back to my vacation. This morning I ate Wheat Thins. Actually, that's all I've eaten today. Ok, lunch time. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment