Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Get Two Beers and Jump

So back in May, my mom and I went shopping to celebrate my birthday and Mother's Day. We went a bunch of places and got some pretty cute stuff. But the first place we went was Macy's, intended to be a quick stop, that ended up being over an hour of shopping and trying on clothes. During this time, we discovered the very front section of the store where they keep the really cute but rather too expensive junior size items, stuff that actually fits me and is totally my style but I can't really afford. 

For fun, we tried on a bunch of stuff. I found a retro Journey t-shirt I liked ($60!) and a vest covered in beads and metal that probably weighed several pounds. And then there was the skirt.

The skirt was a tiered mini, purple with white hearts all over it and an exposed zipper that was supposed to be in the front but I liked better in the back. It fit perfectly and I loved it. But for fifty dollars, I was a little hesitant. After all, the day had just started, and I didn't want to spend too much right away. I could always come back for it later, right?

Well, I didn't buy it that day. But I didn't forget about it either. So the next time I went to Macy's I looked for it. Of course it was gone. I tried online, but I couldn't remember the brand. I scoured the skirt section of the website, but no luck. The skirt had gotten away.

Cut to two days ago. Joe was working, and I was killing time until I could go pick him up. I went to the mall. I went to Macy's. I browsed the same front section of the store. I checked the clearance. 

And there it was. 

The skirt.

Not only was it there, it was the only one. And in my size. And forty percent off.

Apparently, whoever had ended up buying the skirt had kept it for a couple of months and returned it, and it just so happened to be there the same day as I was. And only go to that Macy's once every month or two. So of course I tried it on again. And wanted it. But I had just bought another skirt minutes before, and though forty percent off is great, it was still thirty bucks on top of the twenty five I had just spent. So I decided to think about it. I left and went to a bunch of other stores. I resisted temptation.

You might think that I felt victorious or proud that I didn't buy the skirt right away. But instead I felt anxious, nervous. What if somebody else bought it while I was shopping? Should I just go back and get it? Should I buy it at all? Shouldn't I be careful with my money, since I don't have much disposable income? I was confused, my mind going back and forth, unsure of what to do.

After an hour or so, I noticed a store starting to close. Then another. It was Sunday--the mall was closing at six! And I was on the other side of the mall from Macy's! It was decision time, and now I knew what to do. I wanted that skirt. For three months I had thought about it, and I knew if I didn't get it now I would always remember it and kick myself for not buying it. But did I have enough time? Would Macy's close before I could get there?

Luckily, I made it. I whisked in, grabbed the skirt and bought it. The sales clerk admired it, and as the transaction was completed I placed the skirt in my bag and left the mall. It felt right.

And here it is:




As I said, the zipper is supposed to be in front, but it looks a bit strange that way to me, so I wear it in back. I love the heart print, it's cute but not too precious.


Rings worn with my outfit: white gold band from Joe, sapphire and diamonds unclaimed from a lost and found, aquamarine birthstone my mom's from high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment